Event Health & Safety Operational Guidelines – as at 30 May 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic has already impacted the sport we all love. There will be a natural desire to get back to normality quickly, however we strongly encourage all our clubs and Approved surfing/SUP providers to take the time to thoroughly understand the guidelines, and then create robust and detailed plans before restarting any activity, be it coaching or competitions or club meetings.
The Current Situation
Now that group gatherings are permitted and the size of allowable groups is forecast to increase, no doubt that you will be eager to resume some club activities despite winter looming. We also have the (virtually judged) Boardrider Battle running for the month of June, which gives club members an opportunity to connect, surf and film together. An equal number of New Zealanders will be concerned about the safety of participating and accessing facilities. We must counter-balance these two sets of needs.
SNZ National Events
At this stage, all Surfing NZ national events remain postponed. It’s a rapidly changing environment and we’ll do our best to keep you up to date with the latest information.
SNZ Affiliated Club Events
Clubs can run events at an appropriate scale, according to mass gathering limitations imposed by the government. Up to date guidance relevant to sport can be found here. Below we have provided additional guidance, specific to surfing. These guidelines are written for use if and when Surfing NZ events are rescheduled. In the meantime, we strongly encourage clubs and regional bodies to adopt these guidelines as far as possible, for any events you wish to run locally.
Operational Safety Guidelines for Level 2 National and Club Events
Here you will find information on how Surfing New Zealand Inc. is responding to the Pandemic, and what we’re doing to make sure our people stay safe in the events we run once we are given the go ahead to deliver our national competition calendar/schedule. Our guidelines are consistent with Sport New Zealand’s guidelines for sport.
These are recommended guidelines to ensure the safety of all competitors, officials, parents, supporters, coaches and spectators at events held in COVID-19 Level 2 status.
Before the event
- Enter online via the event website link or SNZ event page here
- Read the online competition waiver and sign to agree to the event Operating Safety Guidelines
- No cash for entry fees will be accepted on the day
Travel to the event
- Travel with your family members. Do not travel with anyone not in “your bubble”.
- Follow all signage for where you can park safely.
At the competition
- Surfing NZ events will be posted on Facebook and the SNZ Hotline phone number 021 113 4506 will be updated with the running order for the day.
- Don’t congregate around the judging trailer – this area will be cordoned off.
- Stay at least 2m away from other competitors/spectators
- Do not use another competitor’s equipment be it surfboard, wax, leash towel or any other item that is not yours or has been touched by someone else
- Don’t check in early for your heat. Your rashvest will be dipped in dis-infectant and be available for pick up from the beach marshall area once the 7-minutes to go mark has been reached. The beach commentator will announce when the rashvests are ready for collection.
- At the end of your heat please return your rashvest ASAP to the beach marshalling area so it can be sanitised.
- The MC will announce all results once they are confirmed.
- Results will also be posted on the Facebook page
- Prize giving will take place at the event site. Please maintain 2m distance from all spectators. Prizes will be disinfected, then placed in bags on a table in front of the MC and Contest Director. Once your name is called please approach the table and collect your prize.
- Always maintain safe distance – Judges to keep a minimum of 1m apart
- Bring your own water bottle/coffee cup and do not share with others
- Use hand sanitiser and disposable gloves provided (unless you have your own gloves)
- Judges will not share pens or clipboards with other officials
Leaving the event site
- Take all your belongings with you
- Leave only your footprints – take all litter home with you
- Travel home with your “Bubble”, do not get a ride home with friends
General Information – stay informed
Follow the Ministry of Health Guidelines: www.covid19.govt.nz
Stay up to date on sport-specific guidelines here
Maintaining fitness is encouraged. Sign up to Farley Performance Training to stay in top shape for the upcoming events https://fpt.co.nz/account/register/
It’s a good time to reflect on your own surfing technique with The Art Of Surfing Academy https://the-art-of-surfing.mykajabi.com/taos-academy-surfing-new-zealand
He waka eke noa | We are all in this together